Friday, March 13, 2015

Week 0- Arizona Scottsdale Mission

 ELDER SHEPHERD 
FIRST DAY IN THE ARIZONA SCOTTSDALE MISSION

 Elder Shepherd and Elder Black
 Training Meeting
March 4, 2015
So Hey guys,
So things are good with me. I like it out here way more than the MTC. President and Sister Sweeney are some of the kindest and most intelligent people I now know. They preach strict obedience, and can testify of the blessings if you are. President Sweeney was dying laughing when we got to Arizona. He said he wont let us live it down. Ohh great! There is something about President Sweeney though. Spiritually he is the most in depth person I have ever seen. He knows himself and what it takes to be a follower of Christ. He knows what makes him mad or sad, and refuses himself to allow himself to get upset or even show the slightest irritation. Just seeing him makes me feel like I need to be Choosing The Right all the time. He served his mission in Japan, and was a CFO (Chief Financial Officer) for Marriot Hotels. He only wishes the best for us, and I have felt his love ever since I met him. I love them so so much. Anyway, Arizona has actually been cold since we got here. They said it hasn't been like this in a long long time. Guess I will live it up. lol. I have been put into a pure Spanish area, and it is about half and half of people here who speak English and Spanish. My companion has 2 transfers left and he is going home. His name is Elder Black, he is from Chicago, and he speaks perfect Spanish. He is a super smart and cool dude, so I think Ill be alright. I personally could not have picked a companion I would have rather have gotten in the group. We went and contacted my first day (Monday) and we met a few people and invited them to a Padgent that Arizona Stakes perform. In my first dinner appointment yesterday, A lady who only speaks Spanish was talking about how crazy her kids are. She said that we won't want any. I said, it cant be that bad.... She then said how many kids do I want. I didn't hear her very well, and I thought she said How old am I . So I answered with 18. The other missionaries and her then died laughing. I am not ready to already be saying funny things in Spanish.

Other than that things are good. We study from 8- 12 each day and then contact/ go to appointments for the rest. Its only my third day, and I already see the blessings of referrals. We actually have gotten about three already since I have been here.

The Ward I am in is called Camelback 2nd branch. It is a 100 person branch of pure Hispanic people. It starts at 11 on Sundays. I am nervous, because they will probably more than likely have me give a 5 minute intro about my self. Anyway, there is 3 sets of missionaries that go to that branch. There is also another ward that shares the same building. They are English and they have 1 set of missionaries.

The photos I am sending are me right now e-mailing in a HUGE library. As well as the last Temple trip.
 Last temple trip at the MTC
 First Pday emailing from the library


Parent email:

March 4, 2015

So I am finally here. My normal P-Day is Monday, but President said we could have one on Wednesday, for new arrivals. Arizona is pretty nice. There is basically no grass, its just all rock and red dirt and cactus. It has been around the 60s since I got here. I have been told the nice whether will not last very long. Ohh well. I still have a lot of work to do with Spanish. My companion is Awesome. His name is Elder Black. He leaves in about 12 weeks. He is from Chicago Illinois. He is very smart and eager to help me out whenever I need him. Here they are all about strict obedience, and so I don't have as long as I normally do to e-mail.
I am serving in the Camelback 2nd Branch with 2 other sets of Spanish missionaries. I have liked it so far, but I dread when I have to talk.
Below I will attach the story of Monday, I hope not everyone knows by now, but ohh well. Ill also add a few pics of me right now and the last day at the MTC.

So things are good with me. We got to Arizona on Monday and the craziest part was that Elder Biddulph and I missed our flight!!! Apparently they left while we were in the bathroom. Oops. Anyway, we made it on a flight that was 3 hour later and we finally left Utah around 12:30 instead of 8. Our Mission President was dying laughing when we got to Arizona. He said he wont let us live it down. Ohh great! Anyway, Arizona has actually been cold since we got here. They said it hasn't been like this in a long long time. Guess I will live it up. lol. I have been put into a pure Spanish area, and it is about half and half of people here who speak English and Spanish. My companion has 2 transfers left and he is going home. His name is Elder Black, he is from Chicago, and he speaks perfect Spanish. HE is a super smart and cool dude, so I think Ill be alright. We went contact my first day (Monday) and we met a few people and invited them to a Padgent that Arizona Stakes perform. In my first dinner appointment yesterday, A lady who only speaks Spanish was talking about how crazy her kids are. She said we don't want any. I said, it cant be that bad.... She then said how many kids do I want. I didn't hear her very well, and I thought she said How old am I . So I answered with 18. The other missionaries and her then died laughing. I am not ready to already be saying funny things in Spanish.
2nd Parent email:
 March 4, 2015
 I have about 3 minutes real quick so I just wanted to say Hi.

I did make it to Arizona. Yall both saw the pictures, so that's good news. I love my new companion Elder Black. He is everything I could have asked for in a companion. I am working with Spanish at all times. It is a bit different than MTC Spanish. Anyway, It was awesome to talk to yall on Monday.
Tell Jaimen, Bryson, Elijah I love them all. Tell Jaimen, that in order to get to play the Xbox, he must promise to let Bryson and Eli play as well, and listen. Here in the Hispanic community, listening comes first and foremost. If a kid doesn't listen, there is very "interesting" consequences.
Tell Bryson, I finally got to read his letter. The food at the MTC, was bleh. It was very cold there, and the main thing I liked were my teachers, Branch Presidency, and the Temple trips each week.
Tell Eli, I miss him. One of the kids at our dinner appointment yesterday was missing both of her front 2 teeth. It reminded me of him.

Alright, I got to go. I hope everything is great there. Just know I am alright. I love the Sweenys so much. Yes I did pass my drivers test. I took it with Brother Allan. He is a hoot. I have me all the people at the Mission Home., They are all nice, and it really runs like a family thing.

Anyway Love you all. We are supposed to get I-Pads in MAy, so I don't know if I will have to buy one or not. I haven't had to buy a bikew yet, because I am in a car area. Cant wait till next week and I love you all very much. Take care of Squashy. Everyone here has a pet, and I miis mine.
Love Yall and talk to yall again next week!!!


Me with my MTC Branch Presidency
On the left is the Riches.
I am in between the Sensons.
And on the far right is Brother Jamison
 This is our classroom. Just so you know where I learned a second language at.

No comments:

Post a Comment